The Brick Building Initiative presents the Fritz Höger Award 2014 for Brick Architecture to architects who take advantage of the architectural potential offered by brick, the traditional building material, to create modern and timeless buildings. Brick has become a generic term for façade bricks made from fired clay that are also known as facing bricks and clinkers. The Fritz Höger Award for Brick Architecture, awarded for the first time in 2008, is presented every three years and is now one of the major architecture prizes in Germany with more than 340 national and international entries being submitted most recently.
We are on the look out for properties with building envelopes, whose designs integrate economic, ecological and artistic aspects for their complete planning requirement with the latter feature expressing itself in key words such as uniformity vs. details, façade structure, colour, craftmanship quality, etc.
Have you planned a building with a façade that incorporates this in its context and at the same time stands out because of it? Does your architecture make a good impression with its functionality and surprise people with its creativity? The Brick Building Initiative is looking forward to seeing your entry!
Projects in the following categories will win an award:
- Detached/semi-detached houses | Einfamilienhaus/Doppelhaushälfte
- Apartment blocks/multi-storey residential buildings | Wohnungsbau/Geschosswohnungsbau
- Office and commercial buildings | Büro- und Gewerbebauten
- Public buildings, sport and leisure | Öffentliche Bauten, Freizeit und Sport
Additional awards will also be presented in the following areas:
- Passive house/Energy efficiency | Passivhaus/Energieeffizienz
- Renovation/Sustainability | Sanierung/ Nachhaltigkeit
- Young talent/Newcomers | Nachwuchs/Newcomer
Prizes and awards
The competition is worth a total of 10,000 euros. The prize money is structured as follows:
- 1st place: 5,000 euros
- 2nd place: 3,000 euros
- 3rd place: 2,000 euros
It is left for the jury to decide whether to distribute the prize money in a way that differs from this structure.
Competition and decision
It is up to an independent expert jury to assess the properties submitted, the members of which are appointed by the Brick Building Initiative. The jury meeting is held in camera. After the decision has been made, the winners will be informed. The award ceremony will be held in Berlin in the autumn of 2014
The high-calibre jury is made up of the following people:
- Heiner Farwick, President of the Association of German Architects (BDA)
- Kaye Geipel, Vice Editor-in-Chief of the architecture magazine “Bauwelt”
- Prof Andreas Meck, overall winner of the Fritz Höger Award 2011 for Brick Architecture, meck architekten, Munich
- Alexander Schwarz, Partner and Design Director of David Chipperfield Architects, Berlin
- Enrique Sobejano, Nieto Sobejano Arquitectos, Madrid, Spain
Terms and conditions of participation
Architects, architect associations and architect/engineer associations are eligible to take part if they are the intellectual owners of the buildings submitted. The entries have to meet the following conditions:
1. Façade: Buildings with a façade made from brick are accepted. The façade with this type of design has a visual appeal.
2. Completion: As of 1st January 2009. Properties that have already been submitted for the Fritz Höger Award 2011 can be submitted again as long as they were completed after 1st January 2009 and were not nominated for the Fritz Höger Award 2011.
The participation documents can be submitted online at: www.backstein.com/architekturpreis or by post.
Extended closing date for entries: 16th May 2014.
The date of the postmark applies for postal entries.
Please note: Only documents that are complete and have been submitted on time can be taken into account in the jury’s decision. Participation is free of charge. There are also no costs resulting from the publication of the competition entries.
In the following you will find the complete application documents with information how to submitt your entries.